Saturday, January 14, 2012


For those of you who are interested - I'm going to give some weekly updates about my airman and what's going on for him during his time at Basic.  

BMT stands for "basic military training" and 
WOT stands for "week of training" and begins on Sunday of each week that he's there.  
(There are tons of acronyms in the military - I'll have to get used to this!)

"Zero week" was the first half-week he was there - I got a call on Wednesday morning at about 12:45am to know he got there safely and he also read me his address, whispered a quick "I Love You!" in a very tired voice and that was that.  I found out his TRS (Training squadron) and FLT (Flight) - He's a part of the 331st, also known as "The Wolfpack" and his motto is "Leading the Way!"  And now since it's Monday, yesterday was the official beginning of WOT 1.

Here are some of the activities and requirements for Week One:
– Reporting and saluting
– Medical and dental appointments
– Fitness and nutrition
– Educational benefits briefing (MGIB/Post 9/11)
– ID card issue
– Individual drill
– Flight drill
– Dorm preparation
– Warrior role
– Law of armed conflict
– Chain of command
– Air Force rank insignia
– Weapon issue
– Weapon parts identification
– Human relations and cultural sensitivity

Click HERE for a slideshow of WOT 1 Pictures from the Air Force Basic Military website.

I got a call from him Monday around 8pm.  He sounded tired but very excited to speak with me and in decent spirits.  He got a little emotional after my initial "Hi Babe!"  He said that during zero week he did not receive any mail (though I sent my first letter bright and early Wednesday morning and everyday since and will continue every day until the beginning of WOT 7) so it had been easy for him to not "think" about me and everyone back home.  Of course he remembered us but he wasn't letting himself dwell on what he had left behind because he needed to focus.  He did say that when they gave him his little stack of letters it finally hit him and he became very emotional.  He and a bunk-mate cried and then made fun of one another to lighten the mood.  He was eager to talk about everything, but we only had about 20 minutes to talk so things were rushed and all over the place.  It was obvious that he was still in the "adjusting" mode, but I suspect he's doing great and will eventually fall into a good routine.  He did mention that he's grouped with the PJ (parajumpers - aka the badasses - all the young ones) so he is motivated to be much more active.  He's one of the "elders" (only 24 for cryin' out loud) because the majority of the guys there are in the 18-21 year old range.

All-in-all I'm eager to get this show on the road and find out what life has in store for us once this little beginning journey is completed.  If you are a fellow USAF wife or family member, you should really check out the facebook page: AF Wingmoms (link HERE).  You'll meet up with other people in the same boat as you, can join a TRS/FLT group specific to your loved one, and find out incredible and invaluable information to help you in your own journey!!  They also offer a forum on what to expect from YOUR perspective.  This is what I shared for my perspective (it might be a repeat of some things I've already said, but you get the idea...)  The banner and tees I talk about have to do with the graduation events - an airman's run that happens on the Thursday of the graduation weekend.  You wear shirts and show banners in support of your airman so they can pick you out of the crowd as they run by to show off their stuff as a flight!

AF Wingmoms Post in Forum:

"My Airman is in 331st. I received the postcard with the address on Monday (though it was incorrect!! TI wrote down the wrong info for the boys!). I did get a 20-minute phone call on Monday as well, around 8pm, and he sounded strong though sad. Said he'd received a handful of my letters that morning so the TI had held the sqad's letters from 0 Week. He expressed that though he missed us, he hadn't really "thought" about home until receiving the letters. He got choked up so I changed the subject! I want him to focus on the task at hand and the end goal!! After speaking with my husband I ordered the banner (I wanted to be sure of the TRS/FLT before ordering and given that it would take "up to 6 weeks" from and ended up getting it by Thursday! I have designed the tees but am waiting on a total count before ordering them. I have compiled a list of "rules" for other family members that are planning on attending just to be safe.  I plan on sending this out within the next couple weeks. I received my first 2 full-page letter on Saturday!!!! Though I'm staying positive and keeping busy, this has felt like the longest week of my life! Looking forward to onward progress and what Week 2 has in store!"

Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment