Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Journey Begins



Today, you left.
You won't be gone for long, I know, but nonetheless, you aren't here with me.
I know things seem like the absolute worst, but I know they'll get better.
I know I broke down with that last hug and to let you go into that airport without me took every ounce of my strength.
I know I bawled the entire walk to the car by myself and sat there for a few minutes to collect myself.
I had to remind myself that life wasn't over and that I'd see you again soon.
                              It could be worse.
                                        You could be leaving for deployment overseas.
                              It could be worse.
                                        You could be stationed somewhere that I couldn't go with you.
                              It could be worse.
                                       We could have kids who'd remind me everyday how much more I could miss you.
                              It could be worse, and it isn't.
It's bad now, sure, but in a year or two when you've made something of yourself and you can hold your head high and be proud, I'll look back on this time and think how selfish I was being to want to keep you here with me.
We can get through this and we will.
One day at a time, one letter at a time - a countdown until I get to see you again.  
I love you and I can't wait until I see you as the US Airman I know you can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment