Monday, July 6, 2015

What's up, Doc?

I haven't forgotten you all, I swear.  This time, I don't come to you with complaints and excuses, well I do, but trust that I haven't rolled up and died, become a non-mobile bump on the log these day -  I'm, once again, a working woman... a paid writer :D  Sure, I'm not doing what I thought I would be, but I'm NOT complaining!  I'm writing OFTEN and I'm getting experience and distribution.  I've been accepted as a writer for an online media company and I'm actually receiving compensation for my contributions!  In addition to that, I'm the newest clerk at my local library.  And on top of that, I'm toying with the idea of opening my own Etsy shop.  Nothing major, just some small hand-knitted items that I hope would yield additional income and cheer spread all around.


My weight loss is still... going.  From the time I was out of my home in Italy (that started April 29) up until about two and a half weeks ago (June 15ish) I gained back about 15 pounds :( It was a combination of stress, too many things on my plate/not enough time to meal prepare and fit in a workout, being back in the states and surrounded by FOODOOOOD, too many things I wanted to do with the hubs before he left for the year, the list goes on and on... I just put ME on the back burner.  And that's okay.  Since yesterday (July 5th) I'm only 6 pounds heavier than I was when I was working out/calorie counting regularly.  I'm trying to fall back into a regular workout pattern and I've been diligent in counting calories.  I've been drinking more water than I EVER have in my life (thanks TN humidity!!!) - I try to ride bikes with my cousin in the mornings - I run/jog a few days a week with a friend - I've been moving and packing/unpacking boxes (my alternative to lifting weights at the gym!) - I've been walking the dog.  Basically, anywhere I can burn calories, I try to take advantage of it until I settle into a groove and get back to the gym on the regular.  I may have hit a little involuntary bump, but that does not mean I've given up on achieving my goal weight of 150 pounds!  It may take me another year, but damn it I'm gonna do it!  I've got 15ish pounds to go!


My husband is away and it's sad... every. single. day.  He's struggling with it as much as I am, which makes it even harder.  He's not sleeping well, he's not eating well, he's just a rush and a jumble and he's trying to adjust to life without me, which I HATE.  The only solace I have from this time apart is that it forces our communication to grow stronger and it makes us value each other more; it helps highlight those things we take for granted.  I miss (and adore) him more and more with each passing day, but I'm not sitting and pitying myself.  I'm trying to make the most of my time here and I really, really want this to fly by.  I also want this year to end with me having gotten something out of it.


I must thank God every. single. day.  I'm certainly NOT the most religious or spiritual person on the planet, but I do believe that His presence, even if for just a moment in every day, makes EVERY DAY that much easier to get through.  When I have a moment, I thank Him for what I have.  Both good and bad, because it all really is relative.  And when I have more than a moment, I have a chat.  I let Him take my burdens and accomplishments and it's cleansing and healing and wonderful.


So... I'm not neglecting this blog... I'm just adjusting.  Trying to spread my time between everything and that's gonna take a little wiggling.  Please bear with me ;)


The reason I even thought, hey let's write a little blurb, is mainly wrapped up in the thought that my husband isn't eating well!  He doesn't have time and energy and want-to to eat more than a lunchable or a some fruit or some delivery from the pizza place or whatever... I'm getting frustrated because that's MY job and I can't be there to take care of him like we both like me to.  So... off to Pinterest I went in search of "meals-in-a-jar."  Stuff that I can put in a mason jar, that can get to him unspoiled, can sit on a shelf for a little while unspoiled, just add water, heat, and eat.  And man was I happy with the results.  So far I haven't sifted through them all, but they sure look promising.  So I'm sharing my wisdom with those of you who need or care to know... hopefully it'll ease not only your mind, but the rumbling tummy of your loved one :D


Your Own Home Store's Freezer Meals Without the Freezer is a great way to share the meals "only you can make babe" to your loved one - it seems you have to purchase some "oxygen absorbers" and "freeze dried" foods, but I'm not opposed to that! If I can adapt the recipes and utilize them for my everyday recipies, that'd make it even more awesome!
The Survival Mom's Meals in a Jar has a breakdown of her experience with the whole "dehydrated" food thing and I'm thinking it'll help me get started on my own path!

These are just a few, but it will take some reading and figuring out to determine if this is for me to do.  It seems the "startup" will be a bit expensive (we're looking at $150 for freeze-dried food items, probably another $100 for spices and canning supplies, and around $10-15 for the absorbers... not to mention the shipping of it) but honestly, if I can feed my hubby from afar, it'll put my mind at ease and provide me with a little helping hand from far away that I desperately crave!

Anywho... gotta run so I can do some work, but I hope I'll be seeing you all soon :D



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment